JL3001 Firmware v1.3

This is where you can get the latest software updates for Insane Audio's super awesome JL3001!
InsaneAudioSupport

JL3001 Firmware v1.3

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi, all. Insane Audio's JL3001 firmware v1.3 is now available! This update includes a number of new features including an updated HVAC app, multiple new OEM options in the Control Settings app and some pretty cool enhancements to zLink for you Apple CarPlay users. Most notably, our engineers have managed to add some of our bluetooth noise cancelling technology on top of the CarPlay interface for better call quality.

As always, we'll first want to check your build number to see if you need this update. Go to Settings->System->About Machine->Build Number. The build number starts with "rk33990userdebug 9 PI" followed by a date code.
  • If your date code is 20200604 (June 4, 2020) then you already have this update. You’re good to go!
  • If your date code is something earlier then June 4, 2020 then you want this update.
  • If your date code is later than June 4, 2020, that means you are reading this in the future and you are on some newer version of our software that likely has all kinds of super awesome features.
To apply this software update -
  • There are two files you’ll need to download for this update. Right click on update.zip and save locally to your computer. Note that it is important to download this locally first to avoid data corruption. Also go ahead and download canbus.upde
  • You'll then need a blank microSD card formatted in FAT32. Copy the two files you just downloaded to that microSD card and properly eject it from your computer.
  • Next, you'll want to power up your JL3001.
  • Properly eject the GPS card by going to Settings->Storage and pressing the eject button on the right hand side by GPS. Then you can safely remove the card from the GPS card slot on the bottom left of your unit.
  • After you've removed your Insane NavEngine GPS card from the GPS card slot, insert the microSD card that you just put the necessary files on. Right away, you should see a dialog box asking if you'd like to update your software. Yes, please. We'd like to do that. But before you click on Install make sure you check the box that says wipe data and format flash
  • If for some reason the dialog box doesn't automatically pop up, you can also just go to Settings -> System -> System updates
The unit will then go through and perform the software update. Please let it complete and don't turn anything off until its done. When the unit comes back up, we're going to want to update your CanBusSystem.
  • Go to settings -> car -> factory settings. It will ask you for a password. Please enter “canupdates2” then click on OK.
  • The unit should then apply the canbus update and you should ultimately see a “Download Success!!” message.
  • Note that this will only work if the canbus.upde file is on your GPS microSD card.
After everything is done, press the home button. Then let’s go ahead and reboot your system by going to settings -> system -> reboot.

That’s all there is to it! Your software is now updated.

Then there are just a few minor things we'll want to do to restore everything back to the factory state:
  • Properly eject your SD card from the GPS slot and remove it. Put your Insane NavEngine GPS card back in.
  • To re-install Insane NavEngine, open up the file browser. Navigate to GPS->Insane NAVI then click on iGO.apk and follow the prompts.
  • If you'd like your koi pond wallpaper back, open the file browser. Navigate to GPS->INSANE NAVI->Additional_APK and click on Water Garden_1.6.4.apk. Follow the prompts to install. Then you can long press on the home screen and set the live wallpaper.
  • You'll need to open the bluetooth app, search for and pair to your OBDII adapter for your live engine data.
  • You'll want to re-configure the Torque app as well. Go ahead and open that up. Press the settings icon on the bottom left. Select Settings -> OBD2 Adapter Settings -> Choose Bluetooth Device. There should only be one listed so go ahead and select that. Note that there are also some general settings that you may want to change like "start in dashboard mode" which will allow you to immediately jump to your gauges when you press the Torque icon. These settings are in Settings -> General Preferences
Thanks for updating and we'll see 'ya on the trail!

InSaNe AuDio Engineering Staff

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: JL3001 Firmware v1.3

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Just a quick note for those of you who may be new to Insane Audio. We are not Microsoft. You do not have to apply cumulative updates!

So you don't need to apply all of our updates in order or anything like that. Regardless of what version you may be on, you can just update to 1.3 directly and you'll be on the latest and greatest. In other words, even if you are still on version 1.0 - just go ahead and follow the instructions above and you'll be good to go.

Kidcia

Post by Kidcia » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:15 pm

after performing this update and attempting to use zlink. connected to a house wifi zlink will not allow me to authorize / activate and after 3 hours of attempts at multiple wifi sources all i get is connect t o wifi to auth and failed to auth. any help? used ia nav card to perform update as well as ntfs 256 card i own.

Tcharker

Post by Tcharker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:59 am

I had that issue too...not realizing I needed a wifi connection. I connected to my phone as a hotspot. Then it worked

Kidcia

Post by Kidcia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 am

i have connected it several different ways to wifi. my phones hotspot, home wifi in 2 different houses, and about to tr a 3rd today

InsaneAudioSupport

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:39 pm

Kidcia wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 am
i have connected it several different ways to wifi. my phones hotspot, home wifi in 2 different houses, and about to tr a 3rd today
After updating your firmware, you'll need to connect your JL3001 to the internet just once for zLink to verify software licenses. Normally this process is pretty easy and you only need to do it the one time. Something else may be going on in your case, so we'd like to request that you hit up our support staff directly at www.insaneaudio.com/support

Please note that all Insane Audio customers get lifetime technical support and our staff works 7 days a week. Again, just go to www.insaneaudio.com/support and this will open up a support ticket. In this case, we'll likely schedule a call directly with our engineering staff and they'd be happy to step you through a few things over the phone. The guys are good and will certailny help figure this out for you.

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:06 pm

Kidcia wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 am
Hello there,

With Insane Audio, every customer gets lifetime technical support and a company that stands behind everything we build 100%.
Please hit us up directly at https://insaneaudio.com/support/ so we can schedule a time for our engineering staff to give you a call and step through some things over the phone.

While the forum is a great place to collaborate and share ideas with other customers but is not the best place to go for tech support. All Insane Audio customers get lifetime technical support and our staff works 7 days a week. You will get a much faster response reaching out to us directly.

Kidcia

Post by Kidcia » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:46 pm

I followed the guidance and a tech is on it! Appreciate the knowledge base of the support crew. They are working on my issues and will get back to me. I’ll be sure to post up my fix for anyone having the same issues. Just in case!

rdecker692000

Post by rdecker692000 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Hello,
Will doing this upgrade erase all my apps and screen layouts?

Ralph Decker

InSaNeAuDiOSupport5

Post by InSaNeAuDiOSupport5 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:38 pm

rdecker692000 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:15 pm
Hello,
Will doing this upgrade erase all my apps and screen layouts?

Ralph Decker
Hey Ralph,

Yes, doing an upgrade will erase all the apps and screen layouts you have on your Head Unit. But on the bright side, your Head Unit will also be equipped with a lot of cool features that come only with this software upgrade. We must say this is the latest and greatest software update on your JL3001 and will open up a myriad of awesome features for you.

You can certainly download the apps and set the screen layout again. To download apps, you just have to go to the Google PlayStore and go to My Apps and you'll find all the apps you had earlier installed and you can easily download them again.